Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Orange and Passionfruit Pound Cake



I have a huge soft spot for Maggie Beer. I love her style of cooking - homey rustic food based on fantastic local produce. Which means I love her TV show, her cookbooks and her little pots of fig paste with a hint of fennel. If I ever met her I'm not sure I could resist begging for an invite to a family dinner at her gorgeous home. No doubt she would think me quite mad and quietly escape my presence. Sigh!!!!

In the extreme unlikelihood of dinner at Maggie's, I have done the next best thing and made her orange and passionfruit pound cake. Does anything scream good old fashioned home cooking louder than a pound cake?

And this one is delicious. Maggie would never let me down. It's dense and moist and buttery and satisfying. The orange provides a nice subtle undertone and the passionfruit icing gives a welcome tang.


The recipe is for two loaves. I made it successfully in one large 15 x 27cm loaf tin.



Orange and Passionfruit Pound Cake
(adapted from Maggie's Table by Maggie Beer)

Cake

Cream together 230gm of softened cream cheese, 230gm of soft unsalted butter, 330gm of castor sugar and finely grated zest from 2 oranges.

Slowly add 4 (61gm) eggs, beating well.

Gently beat in 350gm of sifted plain flour, 2 tspn baking powder and 1/4 tspn salt.

Add 2 tbspn sour cream and 2 tspn vanilla extract. Continue to beat gently until incorporated.

Spoon into two large greased and lined loaf tins. (Or do as I did and use one 15 x 27cm loaf tin).

Bake in a 180C oven for 35-45 minutes. For the larger cake bake until a skewer comes out clean. Turn out and cool.

Icing

Melt 50gm of unsalted butter. Stir in pulp from 2 passionfruit and 180gm of icing sugar. Leave to thicken slightly and then pour over the cooled cakes and allow to set.

Note - Maggie says that this cake can also be made with 2.5 turkey eggs or 3 duck eggs. I would love to try a turkey egg!!!

11 Comments:

At 4:02 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I have never heard of Maggie Beer before, but I definitely want to try out this pound cake!!

 
At 5:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooohhh...it's beautiful and so delicious. I wish I can have a bite of it. Delicious cake with a cup of tea :)

 
At 11:18 pm, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Oh my goodness, that looks so good! Love your blue and white plate too!

 
At 3:23 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, KJ... First you make me print the chocolate cake recipe (the one with jam) and now another one! Off to the printer I go... :)

 
At 11:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks mouth-wateringly fantastic. I love a bit of good, comforting home baking and this certainly hits the spot :-)

 
At 11:09 am, Blogger Rachel said...

That looks amazing!

 
At 8:11 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Deborah, I doubt anyone much outside of Australia has heard of her. which is a shame, she is a great cook.

Hi Cooking Ninja, I agree it is a perfect afternoon tea treat.

Hi Amanda, thanks. I have an odd collection of plates. None of them match, but I like it that way.

Hi Patricia, LOL. It will be well worth it!!

Hi Jen, I agree. There's nothing like old fashioned favourites.

Thanks Rachel.

 
At 12:41 am, Blogger aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I love tangy cakes like this. It's definitely going on my list...

 
At 7:38 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Wow that looks moist and lovely. I have never tried passionfruit before.

 
At 8:48 am, Blogger Cynthia said...

You are out-doing yourself from the delectable pizza rosa to this most delicious of flavours when it comes to cakes. I'm definitely going to try this.

 
At 6:44 am, Blogger Laura said...

Ladies, I made this last Thanksgiving with the turkey eggs and it was WONDERFUL. If you can find the eggs at your local farmers market, do try it. I actually removed the orange from the batter and didn't ice it at all because i don't like a citrus flavor to my pound cakes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet